I have uploaded quite a few copies of WordPress 2.5 for clients now, and I have had no problems with it at all…until my last upload. This copy was for my friends Dana and Jamie so they can have a WordPress blog about The Adventures of Keegan Tosh Kelly (and family). The problem didn’t occur during the installation, the problem occurred when submitting comments. The 2.5 version of WordPress was showing a 404 Page error after I would (and everyone else) would hit the submit button. It also seemed like it was getting all hung up for a while, thinking of where to redirect the user before returning the 404 page. The weird thing about it though, it was still sending the comment moderation emails to the admin’s email account.
I thought for sure that this must have been a bug with WordPress 2.5 because I hadn’t hacked anything and I was using a very basic theme. I started Googling terms that might help me find a forum or another blog posting similar errors, but there wasn’t much indexed since this most recent version of WordPress just came out a few weeks ago.
When Summer and I transferred our www.ca2pr.com wordpress blog to our new server, we were getting 404 pages also. Summer figured out that because we were using the mod_rewrite option for Search Engine Friendly URL’s, we may have to reset that option (turn off and back on again) so that the new server would now how to handle URL requests….and TA DAAA! It worked.
I wasn’t having the same problem here, but it did have something to do with the URL (404 error) so I decided to head on over to the Settings button on the right hand side of the WordPress Admin screen. That is when I saw my mistake that caused the 404 error when posting comments. I screwed up the Custom URL structure.
My mistake was leaving a space after the last % and before the /. I took out the space (as shown above), republished the blog and now it is no longer returning a 404. I was misdiagnosed the problem from the start; the comment button was working just fine, the Thank You Page was not found. I am glad I didn’t start hacking up the core files trying to fix it. :-)